Design and Technology
At South Bank Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
The national curriculum for design and technology aims to ensure that all pupils:
Overview for Year 1 & 2
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Overview for Year 3 & 4
- Design purposeful, functional & appealing products
- Generate, model & communicate ideas
- Use range of tools & materials to complete practical tasks
- Evaluate existing products & own ideas
- Build and improve structure & mechanisms
- UnderstaOverview for Year 5 & 6nd where food comes from
- Use basic principles of a healthy / varied diet to prepare dishes
Overview for Year 5 & 6
- Use research & criteria to develop products which are fit for purpose
- Use annotated sketches and prototypes to explain ideas
- Evaluate existing products and improve own work
- Use mechanical systems in own work
- Understand seasonality. Know where and how ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed.
- Prepare & cook mainly savoury dishes
Cooking and Nutrition
As part of their work with food, pupils will be taught how to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating. Learning how to cook is a crucial life skill that enables pupils to feed themselves and others affordably and well, now and in later life.
Key stage 1 Overview
- Use research & criteria to develop products which are fit for purpose and aimed at specific groups
- Use annotated sketches, cross-section diagrams & computer-aided design
- Analyse & evaluate existing products and improve own work
- Use mechanical & electrical systems in own products, including programming
- Cook savoury dishes for a healthy & varied diet
Key stage 2 Overview
- use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes
- understand where food comes from.
Check out this cool website for amazing facts, lots of ideas and things to try
- understand and apply the principles of a healthy and varied diet
- prepare and cook a variety of predominantly savoury dishes using a range of cooking techniques
- understand seasonality, and know where and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed.