Welcome to the section of the website where you can find out more about the school’s governors, and the work that we do.
Our main role is to support the Headteacher and the staff – the phrase often used to describe this role is ‘a critical friend’. We help them to set and reach targets and to strive for excellence across the whole spectrum of school life. The two key documents used for this are the School Development Plan (SDP) and the Self Evaluation Form (SEF). The SDP sets out a strategic plan for the school, with targets that everyone works towards and the SEF sets out how well the school is doing and where we aim to make improvements.
Our legal duties include:-
- setting strategic direction, policies and objectives
- approving the school budget
- reviewing progress against the school’s budget and objectives
- appointing, challenging and supporting the headteacher
- The Governing Body meets at least once every term. We sometimes set up committees or working groups to look at particular issues (such as pay, performance management, buildings development, curriculum & standards, resources). A small group (Headteacher, Governor responsible for Finance and the School Finance Officers) meets every term to keep an eye on school finances between our termly governor meetings. All governors are informed about what happens at these finance meetings through the resources committee.
- supporting the school in managing complaints
There are several categories of governor, appointed by different groups that have an interest in the school. These are Co-opted governors, the Local Authority (“LA”), Foundation governor, Parents and Staff. All governors have equal status, however they are appointed.
We are committed to providing an excellent environment for all pupils to enjoy during their time at our school. If you would like to speak to us, please contact us through the school office.
Chair: Mrs Karen McGarrity (Co-opted, Literacy governor & Safeguarding)
Vice Chair: Mr M Hodgson (Foundation & Numeracy Governor)
Clerk: Mr Jonathon Gordan
Mrs Martin Kitchen (Staff Headteacher)
Cllr Sue Jeffrey (LA governor)
Miss Helen Bashford (Co-opted & Building Governor)
Miss R Halpin (Staff Deputy Headteacher)
Mrs Hayley Forrest (Parent)
Mrs Carly Tastan (Parent)
Mr Jonathan Edwards (SEN Governor)
Mrs H Boase ( Staff )
Mrs M Clarke (Staff)
If you are interested in joining us, then please speak to a member of staff.